Paternoster rig – is very sensitive and highly adaptable way of fishing. Consisting of only two parts, one part has the lead attached and the second part has the hook attached. The main purpose of the rig is to offer little or no resistance to a fish as it moves off with the bait. Paternoster rigs are not self hooking, the angler must strike at the right time. Bite registration can be done with a quiver tip, swing tip or touch ledgering. The paternoster is a very good long distance method of fishing, but there is nothing to stop you using it mid range or close in.
Paternoster rig – Additional
- The main purpose of the rig is to offer little or no resistance to a fish as it moves off with the bait.
- The basic rig is simple, consisting of only two parts. One part has the lead attached and the second part has the hook attached.
- Try to use the lightest weight you can with this rig.
- Always use a hook link that is weaker than the main line.
- A long hook link is often used for cautious fish, a short hook link with a long weight link can be used to present the bait off the bottom.
- The casting weight can be changed for a swim feeder, maggot feeder or cage feeder.
- Use baits between 6 to 10mm directly on the hook or on a hair.